Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
Custom-tailored management program
Through a combination of evidence-based and lifestyle medical approaches, Dr. Surkunte can help you manage your diabetes in Gilbert. Pre-diabetes can be prevented from progressing into Type 2 diabetes. It is even possible to reverse Type 2 diabetes.
In the last 20 years, the number of US adults with diabetes has tripled. Over 30 million US adults have diabetes – and 25% don’t know they have it. Over 84 million US adults have pre-diabetes – and 90% don’t know they have it. (source: cdc.gov)
Diabetes affects almost all our body’s organs. It is the leading cause of acquired blindness, kidney failure and amputations. It also contributes to increased complications with heart disease, immunity suppression, infections and stroke. Some symptoms of diabetes include increased thirst, increased hunger, frequent urination, blurry vision and fatigue.
The program includes
- Physical exam, including measurement of the waist to screen for visceral adiposity and body composition analysis
- Review of medical history including medications
- Assessment of medical conditions (lab blood work and other tests as needed) including: insulin resistance, metabolic disease, heart disease risk, kidney function, liver function, thyroid function, uric acid, early signs of diabetes, electrolytes, vitamin levels and cholesterol abnormalities
Physician-developed plan and counseling
- Exercise and activity
- Recommendations for medication and/or supplements as needed
- Follow-up appointment(s) for the ongoing monitoring of medical conditions including the adjustment of medications you take for diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and other conditions.
Note: Blood work is through your insurance or at an additional cost.