Sleep apnea & weight loss
Sleep Apnea is caused by obesity
Millions of Americans have trouble getting quality sleep and wake up with extreme daytime fatigue as a result of a common sleep disorder known as obstructive sleep apnea.
- Common disease
- A serious condition associated with significant health conditions listed below
- It causes a person to stop breathing throughout the night
- Results in a decrease of oxygen to the brain
- Results in serious health problems if left untreated
- Daytime sleepiness
- Loud snoring
- Witnessed apneas by a bed partner
- Awakening with choking or gasping
- Lack of concentration
- Changes in mood
- Morning headaches
- Vivid, strange, or threatening dreams
Health Conditions Associated with Sleep apnea
- Heart failure
- Stroke, transient ischemic attacks
- Atrial fibrillation
- Kidney disease
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Lung disease
- Heart burn (Gastroesophageal reflux)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Parkinson's disease
Treatment for Sleep Apnea
- Weight loss: 5-10 % weight loss has been shown to reduce the AHI index score ( Through a combination of evidence-based and lifestyle medical approaches, Dr. Surkunte can help you loose weight in Gilbert.
The program includes
- Physical exam, including measurement of the waist to screen for visceral adiposity and body composition analysis
- Review of medical history including medications
- Assessment of medical conditions (lab blood work and other tests as needed) including insulin resistance, metabolic disease, heart disease risk, kidney function, liver function, thyroid function, uric acid, early signs of diabetes, electrolytes, vitamin levels, and cholesterol abnormalities
Physician-developed plan and counseling
- Exercise and activity
- Recommendations for medication and/or supplements as needed
- Follow-up appointment(s) for the ongoing monitoring of medical conditions including the adjustment of medications you take for diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and other conditions.
Note: Blood work is through your insurance or at an additional cost.
HOURS MAY VARY.
With COVID, we are doing telemedicine appointments, so hours may be different than what is listed. Call & confirm before you drive to the clinic.
8:00am - 5:00pm
8:00am - 5:00pm
8:00am - 3:00pm